Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sorry Niko

One of my best memories of my father growing up took place on the outdoor basketball courts at Manitou Springs Elementary School.  I was 14 at the time and it was shortly before my parents went there separate ways.  My dad and I enjoyed playing sports as I was growing up.  Not like Niko and I, or most modern day parents do, but as much as parents and their kids did back in the day.  And, I rarely remember any of these moments growing up that involved any kind of competition between the two of us...  just a game of catch with the baseball, shooting the basketball, throwing the football.  But, for some reason my dad and I decided to play one-on-one this particular evening.  It might have been that I wanted to prove to my pops that I was, and had been for a short period of time, better than him.  A sort of coming of age for me.

I was correct.  I beat my dad that night for the first time.  I was pretty happy with myself.  And, the great thing about being a dad is that you can lose to your son and, despite your normal competitve spirit, still be happy about losing and proud of your kid.  My dad still asks me every couple of years if I remember the first time I beat him in hoops and if I recall where it was.  And, I always do.  It is kind of ironic that he asks me if I can remember but forgets that he has asked me this repeatedly over the years! 

As my pops and I were having this biannual stroll down memory lane a couple of weeks ago, it hit me that my son had never had the pleasure of a similar experience.  I imagine that it would have occurred at a similar age, if not a little sooner.  I was much better than my dad.  But, Niko was far better than I ever was as well.  Unfortunately, my son never got this opportunity because by the time he was ready, I was not.  Because of my weight, knees and stamina, I no longer was playing hoops... even quick pick-up games in the driveway.  For this, and any other moments we didn't share because of my obesity, I apologize son. 

The best news coming out of this story?  I am still undefeated against Niko to this day!  I plan on getting back in to shape just enough so that we can meet in the driveway and he can wipe the concrete with me.  I am also hoping that once he has that coming of age, he will want to move out of the house!   Okay, I tease.   Here's to never passing up moments with your children because of your health and still trying to make up for it in every way you can no matter what age you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment