Thursday, May 13, 2010

Norm!!!

Some of you may remember the classic sitcom "Cheers" and it's great cast of characters.  One of those characters was Norm.  Norm was the big, burly, somewhat surly, but likable guy who made up half of one of the most famous bar patron duos along with Cliff.  Norm was a fixture at Cheers.  The type of regular that even has his own "reserved" chair at the end of the bar.  When Norm showed up at Cheers, all of the regulars in the bar would exult and greet him with a hearty "Norm!!!!".

While I have never received such a greeting at a bar or tavern, I have been met with a friendly hello of familiarity at several restaurants that we frequent on a regular basis.  So, what's my point?  As my streak of days continues at the Pueblo Athletic Club, it has been nice to see those same smiles and greetings that include that same familiarity.  Nobody says "Anthony!!!" as I walk in to the club.  But, they now greet me with that smile that says "hey, I know you...  you're a regular here".  I don't know if they pay attention enough to see any of the changes.  But, I think that the staffs of any athletic club have an appreciation for those members who they see on a regular basis.  Maybe one day, when I am under 200 and my total weight loss is approaching 115 pounds, someone might notice and decide to get the staff together and greet me with an exuberant "Anthony!!!".  That would be sweet.  And, while I don't think I have enough respect to have my treadmill reserved for me, I do find myself migrating to the same one if it is available. 

The other nice thing about becoming a "regular" at the club is the same kind of greetings and nods from the other regulars.  Some of them are people who have been doing this a lot longer than I.  Some of them are people who I know started at a similar time and have a very similar battle on their hands.  These folks share a common bond and almost feel like family.  We don't always say "hi".   But, there is always that nod that seems to indicate a sort of brotherhood and a sentiment of "good job, keep it up".  I liken it to motorcycle owners riding down the road and flicking out the half wave from their side as they pass bikers going the other way.  I am proud of my brotherhood and I root for all of them to be hugely successful.  Here's to becoming regulars at places far more healthy than bars or restaurants...

1 comment:

  1. I love Norm! I miss Norm. "It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and I'm wearing milk bone underwear."

    ReplyDelete