Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not Bitter Any Longer

Every year, the five Kroger convenience store divisions, of which Loaf 'N Jug is one, hold an annual finance meeting.  When I first started with LNJ,  only the top finance person in each division got to attend.  At LNJ, that is my boss, the Vice President of Finance.  After a couple of years of lobbying, the powers that be were finally convinced that two people from each division should attend.  And yes, I like to think that my whining had a lot to do with this.  So, for the last three years, I have happily attended the meeting.

Well, this year that decision was reversed and the meeting went back to the way it was.  I was not happy about the decision.  In fact, "not happy' does not do my bitterness any justice.  I have always enjoyed this meeting on many levels and felt that I was a key contributor.  To tell you the truth, since I found out I was not going earlier in the year up until yesterday, that bitter feeling had not subsided even slightly.  That is until yesterday.  Yesterday, I realized that because I was missing the meeting, I was also missing a ton of really tempting and excellent food.  I was missing the beers at dinner and the beers after dinner.  I was missing the incredible cranberry-oatmeal cookies that every really nice hotel seems to make to perfection... soft, warm, and very good.  I was missing the buffets for breakfast and lunch.  I was missing at least one night at a really good local restaurant.  In the end, I was missing everything that I truly want to miss at this time of my life.  Yesterday, I realized I was finally content missing the meeting this year... just wish I would have realized that sooner and saved myself a couple of months of brooding!

I would like to think that I would have had some self-control, at the very least a heavy dose of moderation.  But, like the leftovers that Leana doesn't bring back to the office (see yesterday's post if you missed the reference), it is far easier saying no from Pueblo than it would have been at the meeting the last few days.  While it may feel like I am being weak by avoiding situations as opposed to facing these situations head-on, I still think there is some value in knowing yourself and your weaknesses and making choices to avoid those situations that may test you.  This is the same reason I have tried to limit the number of buffets I have gone to over the last couple of years.  It is much easier to skip it altogether than to try, or even pretend, to be good.  By saying no to the situations themselves, I have in effect done the same thing or better than saying no to the temptation once I get there.  So, I will avoid these moments when I can.  And when I can't?  Well, that will be when I have a chance to prove my mettle. 

This weekend is the start of the graduation season here in Pueblo.  While our invites have declined considerably since are kids have graduated, we will still have two to three parties scheduled each weekend over the next four.  So, I will have plenty of chances to prove myself.  Wish me luck.

Here's to seeing the silver lining in any situation, even if it takes you three months to figure it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment