Sunday, May 9, 2010

Even Buttered Movie Popcorn Can't Stop Me Now... 267.0!!

Last night, as Lori and I were coming home from WalMart, we talked about going to see "Iron Man 2" after the little boy across the street told me that he and his family were going to see it.  I convinced Lori to go, but there was only one small problem.  We hadn't eaten dinner.  I was thinking the same thing as Lori but wasn't going to say it.  She was much bolder than I and said that we should go to the movie and have popcorn as our meal.  Like I said, it was at the back of my mind, so I was easily convinced.  But, for good measure, I got online to see the calories of buttered movie popcorn.  OUCH!  Couldn't find good results for Cinemark, but the AMC version of a large bucket came in at 1,640 calories!  My eagerness dropped slightly.  Not enough to keep me from eating any.  But, it did keep me from devouring it at quite the same pace.  It helped that it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped.  Right before the movie started, I ran out to get some more butter on it...  yes, double OUCH!  That was a bad idea.  The fact that it wasn't quite living up to expectations was why I was even being remotely good and had actually decided to stop eating any.  Well, the additional butter made all of the difference and I went back to consuming large amounts of saturated fat. 

In the end, I still ate less than I used to.  And, when I got home I researched movie popcorn only to find out that AMC and Regal use coconut oil and Cinemark uses canola oil.  Good thing for me as this substantially reduces that crazy calorie number I spoke of above.  Of course, that butter, or butter substance, is a whole 'nother issue...

So, I found that my brother's exception had become my exception as well.  When I left the theater, I found that ol' familiar sickening feeling from all of that greasy butter sitting in my stomach.  I almost wanted to eat a piece of bread to soak it all up.  The popcorn was good.  But, not good enough for the way I felt afterwards.  I don't think I will have more than a handful of movie popcorn at one setting ever again.  That's what exceptions have become for me... a kind of roller coaster of emotions.  But, the ride always seems to end at an stopping point where I feel queasy and disappointed.

The good news?!  Even with that exception, I was down another .8 pounds today for an even 267.0!   I am a weight-loss machine and even buttered movie popcorn can't slow me down!

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!  I hope all of your kids love you even half as much as I love my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment