Thursday, May 6, 2010

Goodbye Cravings!

I talked last week about my cravings for pizza starting to decline gradually.  I talked about my night of chips and salsa satisfying my cravings for Mexican food.  But, what I failed to mention is a general decline in my cravings for a variety of foods that used to be tempting.  I no longer mindlessly reach for a peanut butter cup.  I no longer grab a handful of popcorn at work without thought.  I also no longer find that I drool when I observe other people eating the foods I found so tempting just a month ago. 

Today at lunch, I walked in the lunchroom and found a couple of friends from work enjoying some double cheeseburgers from Sonic.  I walked over out of curiousity and was even offered a bite.  But, I found that I really had no desire.  A month ago, I would have still said no.  But, a month ago I would have really meant yes.  A month ago my stomach would have rumbled and I would have gone back to my office thinking how good that double cheeseburger looked to me.  But, not today.  I no longer have to lie to myself.  That double cheeseburger looked no better than the lunch I had packed.  Now, I know all of you find this hard to believe.  But, I can honestly say that I had no desire to take a bite of that double cheeseburger. 

I know I wrote about this last month. But, that night I simply said no to Taco Bell. That one was easy and it was a lone incident. Now these moments are commonplace.  This is just one example of many and is my biggest victory to date.  There isn't a better feeling than having "no" really mean "no" and not be just a matter of willpower beating out desire.  I didn't expect to get to this point this quickly but this makes my current battle that much easier.  This gives me so much more confidence that I will ultimately be successful in this journey.  And, this gives me even more reason to limit any bad days for fear of forgetting what it means to say no with conviction.  Here's to living the rest of my life without secretly craving all of the foods I have given up...

No comments:

Post a Comment