Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Status Update

It has been four weeks since my first blog entry and tomorrow will be the four-week weigh-in.  A lot has changed in those four weeks and I thought it was time for my first reflection and status update.

Four weeks ago, I got on the treadmill for the first time in ages.  That night, I walked for 35 minutes, burned 323 calories, and traveled 1.71 miles.  Within a week I was walking 45 minutes and now I almost have to make myself stop.  Tonight I walked 3.42 miles and burned 715 calories!  Didn't realize the significance of the mileage until just now.  Tonight I walked exactly double what I walked that first night.

Four weeks ago (or slightly less), I weighed 302.6 pounds.  Only two weeks ago, because of my detour to Vegas, I still weighed 297.6.  This morning I weighed 284.0.  Down 18.6 from the first time I weighed and announced it to the world and down 13.6 in just under two weeks.

Four weeks ago, my stomach hurt when I walked because of the extra weight I was carrying.  I could feel the weight of my stomach bouncing with each step.  Tonight, I felt no pain in my stomach when I walked.

Four weeks ago, my XXXL shirts were frighteningly close to no longer fitting me.  Today, they fit comfortably.  My XXL shirts also fit enough to wear them.  But, I want another 5-10 pounds so they fit nicely.

Four weeks ago, I felt like crap.  Today I feel great!  My energy levels are up.  My confidence is up!  

Four weeks ago, I wanted, hoped, prayed I could lose some weight before it was too late.  Today, I no longer hope. I know that I will be successful.

Four weeks ago, I didn't know how to say no.  Now, not only do I say it often, but it is starting to get easy.

Today, a co-worker asked what my weaknesses were and asked specifically if bread was one of them.  I responded that bread was indeed one of the saboteurs.  Another co-worker said that she would be ruining my diet next week because she was bringing in a bread vendor with plenty of free samples.  I politely informed her that was not going to happen.  And, without question, I know that it is not going to happen.  I am absolutely unconcerned regardless of what vendor and what wares are placed before me like evil temptresses.

And, one more thing, I am not on a diet.  This is no short-term change of eating habits.  This isn't the five pound diet I need to fit in to my Speedo (sorry for the imagery, I really don't own one... anymore!) for the summer.  This isn't like last year when I wanted to lose some weight before graduation season.  This isn't a grapefruit-eating, pill-popping, cottage-cheese eating, shot-taking, stomach-stapling, lap-belting, jenny-craig-shake-drinking, weight-watching phase I am going through (and no offense to anyone who has taken any of the mentioned meausures, I fully understand the need and good on ya).  This is a lifestyle change.  I will not partake in the breadfest next week and I will not partake in the breadfest when it returns next year!  I will not eat the Reese's Milk Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Egg this Easter.  And, I will not eat that same egg next Easter either.

Tomorrow I will share a truly inspirational story that my brother shared with me today.  Stay tuned.  Here's to four more weeks of continued successes...

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome babe. I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. You are looking good.
    Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks babe! I love you too and am equally as proud.

    ReplyDelete