Sunday, April 4, 2010

Gunfight at the O.K. (Golden) Corral

Happy Easter!

Shortly after proclaiming that I would never go to a buffet ever again (please see the blog after my return from Las Vegas), my wife reminded me that her grandmother was taking us to Golden Corral for Easter.  My shoulders dropped...  oops!  So, I immediatley started talking about trying to be good, but I wasn't actually convincing myself.  Over the two weeks since, my resolve grew stronger with each passing day.  I went from just talking about it to having a lot of conviction.  As of Thursday this week, I was actually anxious and looking forward to the meal just to prove my new resolve.

Today was the day.  The ulitmate test.  A buffet.  I felt great driving over there.  I was still convinced when we got in the doors.  But then, as we were being seated, I started looking at all of the good food I really wanted to try.  I looked at a seafood section that has been substantially expanded since my last visit.  Pizza that always looks good to me.  And, yes, when even GC pizza looks that good, you know you are addicted.  I started well.  A little Bourbon Chicken, some baked tilapia, a salad, some broccoli, some cauliflower.  That would have been perfect had I quit then.  But then, I broke down and had a little bit of Orange Chicken.  In the end, I wasn't quite as good as the original plan.  I wasn't near as strong as I thought I would be.  But, I was still under my calorie goal for the day.  And, I stepped away from the table and didn't feel sick.  I walked away full, but comfortable.  Compared to the failure of my last buffet, I give today's effort an A- to a B+.  In the end, I may never be strong enough to go to a buffet and be as good as I need to be.  But, I learned that if I ever find myself in that situation, I can still go and not eat like a small horse. 

My weight loss for the day was only .2 pounds.  I think that the last time I had .2 pounds lost and then followed it up with 1.6 pounds helped me to be a far less grumpy Anthony.  It also helped that the club was open on Easter.  Lori thought they would be closed and told me this as we left the club on Saturday.  I thought I might cry.  So, I ran back in to find out that they were indeed open and I was elated.  Another good day at the treadmill.  Not looking forward to the scale in the morning.  But, I will be fine with whatever it tells me and know that I am starting a new week in a lot better shape than I started the last.  Here's to kicking the buffet's ass, even if it wasn't a knockout...

No comments:

Post a Comment