Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sorry If I Ruined Your Pool

Let me start by saying that I have done some really dumb things in my life. And, I see you guys nodding your head out there.  I was thinking back to high school when my friend, Dean Furlong, and I started a pool in our drafting class about what a classmate would wear each day. This particular kid had probably three t-shirts that were the exact same raglan sleeve design with slightly different color variations, similar to the one below in colors like blue/gray, gray/blue, gray/black.

So, one day we started a pool in class for $1 per person to guess which one he would wear on each Friday.  That may have been the start of my bookie career as I have continued to run all of the office pools, fantasy football, etc. to this day.  Again, I am not proud... even feel bad about it now.  My motto has always been "stupid kids do stupid things and all kids are stupid"!  The only thing I can say in our defense is that this particular kid was not ever made aware of the pool... at least as far as I know.

As I said in a previous post, I have always liked nice clothes.  I enjoy dressing well.  But, I enjoy it far less than I used to and it has gotten worse with each pound gained.  The first reason is that it is just plain difficult to find the same selection of clothing being a heavy person.  Maybe companies don't believe that obese people like nice clothes.  Who knows?  Since I am not planning to be a part of that club soon, it is not something I plan to fret over any more.  The second reason is that I am stubborn.  I simply refuse to go out and buy a wardrobe full of more fat clothes.  I keep telling myself that I am going to change and then I will buy new clothes at that time.  Because of this stubbornness, my current wardrobe of work clothes is somewhat limited and was getting even slimmer (no pun intended) as I closed in on 315.  Not as bad as that kid in high school, but dangerously close.  So, it hit me a couple of months ago that I was now that kid.  I know they won't admit it, but I think my workmates secretly have a pool going about what shirt I am going to wear each Monday. 

Well, today, I put on an XXL shirt that I had only worn once before, and uncomfortably at that, while helping out at the State Fair.  I realized when I showed up at work that I had just pulled the equivalent of a Kansas.  Like the Jayhawks, I was ruining a lot of people's pools.  So, apologies for those who lost money today.  I guess, like Kansas, that maybe everybody missed that one.  I promise to make the pool a lot more difficult and to be far less predictable going forward.  And, I am sorry for starting that pool 28 years ago! 

Good day again.  Started with another 1.4 pounds off on the scale.  Finished with 3.19 miles, 683 calories, and some machine work on my arms.  Here's to a larger wardrobe and an air of unpredictably...

No comments:

Post a Comment