Monday, April 5, 2010

Reese's Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Egg

I know you are all probably tired of my little success stories.  But, I guarantee that I have shared far more embarassing stories than success stories on this blog.  At the moment, I am on a little bit of a roll and need to get all of the success stories out of my system.  I also guarantee that I will return with plenty more embarassing stories in the future.  

I am not a real big chocolate or sweets fan.  Good thing too, or I would likely weigh 400 pounds instead of 300!  But, I do have a few things that I still like in the sweets department.  Cheese cake, Richella Stawski's bon bons, Jean Sharpe's pumpkin whoopies, Oreo whoopies, and Reece's Peanut Butter Cups.  Even better than the cup is the annual production of the Reese's Egg!  We don't keep a ton of candy in the house.  But, we typically by a nice supply of the eggs every year around Easter.  But, impressively, Lori did not buy any this year.  But then, my son, who likes sweets even less than I, gave her grief for not buying any... he was mostly kidding.  Not that he wants more than one every other day.  But, it is one of his few exceptions to eating good all the time. 

Then at work, I grabbed a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup out of a co-worker's office only to have my friend, Russ, grab it out of my hand and throw it in the trash!  That's what friends are for and I gave him a fist bump for the effort!  I think I grabbed it out of habit and wasn't even thinking.

Well, I gave in to my boy and encouraged my wife to buy some eggs for him.  Tonight, I came home and, to my horror, spotted the pile of four packs of Reese's Eggs.  Four packs, 24 eggs!  With Russ out of the picture I once again reached out for a milk chocolate and peanut butter temptation.  But, before I opened the package I decided to peruse the nutritional info and was shocked when I read 170 calories.  170 calories!  I was expecting a minimum of 100 calories but this was still an eye-opener.  I threw the egg back, thinking to myself that I might consider it after dinner if my calories were substantially lower than my goal for the day. 

That thought faded quickly when I got to the club and started working out.  I fought through nagging shin splits for a little over 10 minutes before my legs stopped hurting.  That same 10 minutes that it would take to burn off one Reese's Egg!  The egg stopped sounding as good.  Truth be told, I think I knew when I threw it back down on the counter that I wasn't going to have it.  Over an hour at the gym, a good dinner, and an incredible NCAA Basketball National Championship game later, any desire for that egg had completely vanished. 

To top it off, I made that decision with plenty of calories to burn.  I have stayed under my calorie goal on a consistent basis.  But, this goal is based on a weight loss of two pounds per week... nowhere near the goals I have set.  I have found that it has been relatively easy to be under that goal by somewhere between 300-900 calories.  But, today was even lower than normal.  After working out, the website still showed that I had 1,453 calories to burn.  Calories aplenty for that egg...  but desire not so much.  Another temptation, another no, another small victory.  Here's to friends helping you say no... or at least taking the time to get there on your own...

No comments:

Post a Comment