Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Downward Facing Hog

So, I have been meaning to tell the story of my first yoga class.  I have always wanted to give yoga a shot based on it's relaxation, meditative, strength, and flexibility components... all of which I could use heavy doses of.  So, Lori and I ventured in to our first yoga class last Thursday evening.  Now starting any new fitness class can be a little intimidating.  But, because of our lack of yoga knowledge this class seemed even more so.  It is uncomfortable that first night not knowing what to expect.  There is always that sense that everyone knows each other in the room except for you... and a little feeling that they may all be pointing at you and talking.  Combine that with the fear of not actually being up to the task and it can be rather daunting. 

Regardless, we made our way in to the room at the Pueblo Athletic Club, grabbed a mat, and found a spot in the back of the room where most newbies seem to congregate.  Now if the lack of yoga knowledge or skill wasn't enough to announce to the group that we were first-timers, the fact that we grabbed one of the rubber public mats certainly was!  Everyone else in the class pulled out their personal yoga mats and, while I am sure I imagined it, gave us looks of disdain. 

On top of everything else, I was the only male in a class full of females.  Females who not only knew yoga but could easily have taught the class.  Females who were so limber that I knew they were secretly contortionists.  Females who were not beginners like me.  Yes, I knew those people walking down the hall and glancing in were at least having a small giggle at the old fat guy in the middle of this room!

Contrary to those feelings that we just crashed somebody's yoga party, our instructor, Sally, was extremely friendly and helpful.  She guided us through a variety of yoga positions and continually reminded us to not push too hard and that it was okay if we couldn't do everything.  I didn't need Sally to tell me this, my body was plenty vocal and my knee specifically was not happy with some of the poses.  Lori and I muddled through about half of the class when we came to Adho Mukha Svanasana, commonly referred to as Downward Facing Dog.  As my body pointed to the sky in an ugly inverted V-shaped position not as pretty as the pictures of DFD I have seen online, my arms started to scream at me and began to shake ever so slightly.  Sweat dripped off my forehead.  My knee hurt.  My V looked more like an upside down U.  My shirt fell towards my face exposing my still-too-large stomach and I right then knew I was doing the Downward Facing Hog!

Eventually, we ended up lying on our backs in a cool-down position.  As my limbs took turns melting in the floor, I thought I might actually fall asleep.  This might be the part that I was looking forward to the most... letting my world go for a few minutes.  I will caution all of you who have never experienced yoga to not plan on doing your aerobic exercise immediately afterwards.  By the time Sally was done with me, my legs felt like lead weights when I started walking.  It was a struggle simply waking up.

When the class finished, our instructor was kind enough to tell us that we did a good job and that we should continue to do only what we could manage.  While I know she was being sincere, my translation of what Miss Sally said was, "Yoga's not for you fat boy!".  But, Miss Sally, I will return this Wednesday to try your patience again.  lol. 

Yoga kicked my ass!  Not that this was a huge surprise.  I knew it was a tough discipline and was expecting it to do just that.  But, I was worn out when I left that room.  But, at the same time I felt extremely energized.  Nice feeling.  I like yoga... for now.  Here's to proving to Miss Sally, well actually to myself, that fat boy is not a quitter...

No comments:

Post a Comment