Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Apologies To Those I Have Offended!

My plan was to talk a little more about being in tune with my body.  But, that post will have to wait...

I want to take the time to publicly apologize to those I have offended with this blog last night.  Specifically, all of the folks who know me, read my blog, or know that I am trying to lose weight and have given me any compliments over the last month.  I truly did not mean to imply that this group was a bunch of mindless drones prone to giving compliments purely based on the power of suggestion.  I did not mean to imply that I could fish for compliments with simple blog bait and get so many solid hits!  I was not saying that these folks did not mean their kind words or that I did not believe them.  I was simply trying to say that because of their familiarity with me and my plight that this group is more apt to notice any changes.  A good analogy would be when you buy a new car.  Suddenly, you begin to notice that car everywhere you look.  You swear to yourself that nobody owned that car until the day you purchased yours.  My boss uses the term "perceptive activation" to describe this phenomenon.  What I am trying to say is that this group is looking for a change and thus far likely to notice!  So, to all the people who reminded me today that their compliments were indeed well-meaning and sincere... and also the ones who reminded me that I will not be receiving any more in the future...  I apologize from the bottom of my heart.  Are we good?  I really do appreciate any and all kind words and hope that I have not disillusioned group #1. 

While I am apologizing, let me come clean about another slight from this blog.  While I am a stubborn old fool about alternative methods of losing weight and take issue with the word "diet", I really do not have any problem with all of the people out there trying anything and everything to lose weight.  Again, I was trying to say that none of these alternatives were for me.  It's not because I don't believe that some, most or all of them don't work.  Again, it's just that I am so damn stubborn and believe that I can do this by changing the way I live my life that I refuse to try them.  I was mostly trying to emphasize that this was not a short-term change and that the intent was to creat a lifestyle that was sustainable for me.  And, yes Jim, I believe I have found that.  And, I am not immune to these alternatives.  I ate cottage cheese for three straight days until I thought I might puke... and that was 20 years ago!  I have read countless books and tried numerous diets.  I think that anyone fighting this battle should use any means at their disposal, assuming they are safe, that they want or are willing to try if it helps them achieve their goals.  I don't even care if it's a placebo-effect...  that is still a positive outcome.  Believe me, if I died because of my stubbornness, I imagine all of the people who had their stomachs stapled successfully would have the last laugh and I would fully regret that stubbornness.  For now, this is what works for me.  I strongly suggest each of you find what works for you.  I apologize if I sounded like I was demeaning any of these alternative methods or anybody's  efforts and was not trying to come across as high and mighty.

Let me add that it would be a good practice to take everything I say with a little grain of salt.  I definitely write a lot of this blog with a tongue-in-cheek attitude and a playful spirit.  I thought those who knew me would always get this about me, it's how I live my life.  But, I have found out over the years that I tend to offend way more often than I intend (wow, tend, offend and intend all used in the same sentence!) [so don't pretend - just kidding].  And, I have also realized that even those who know and love me don't always get my humor.  Okay, so I believe I am done with my current round of mea culpas.  Tomorrow I will get back on subject.  Here's to learning a small bit of tact and not offending those I care about...

1 comment:

  1. Well, for what it's worth, I don't think people should be offended by what you said. There simply is a difference between someone noticing your weight loss because they are looking for it and someone who probably doesn't pay much attention to your appearance noticing your weight loss.

    :)

    ReplyDelete