Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This Old House (Body)

While this blog is titled "The Journey To Be The Athlete That Still Exists In My Head", I really don't have any expectations or aspirations of being the athlete from my younger days.  There are moments when I am doing something, like shooting hoops out front, that I actually feel quite young again.  But, then there are days like today where the reality of my age promptly reminds me that I will never be that young man again. 

Yesterday was a great day.  It started with my morning swim of 30 minutes.  In the evening, Lori, my sister Rita, and I went on a brisk hour long walk.  We came home and immediatley took off for the club.  I wanted to still get my heart rate up so I walked on the treadmill for another 27 minutes.  I followed that up with about 20 minutes on the weights... and it just so happened that it was leg night.  When we got home, Lori asked if I wanted to do the yoga DVD that we got with our yoga mats.  A 20 minute yoga routine later and my day o' fun was finally complete. 

I fell asleep easily...  and I will add extremely contently!  This morning was a different story.  I struggled to get up to go for my swim for the first time in three weeks.  As I walked to grab my suit and get ready, every joint in my body ached and creaked and I moved slowly and gingerly across the room.  My 45 year old body was not as content as my new 20 year old mind.  I was sore.  I was tired.  I may eventually get close to my high school weight.  But, I realized today that I will never feel as good as I did back then.  I apologize to my old body for yesterday's punishment.  But, I make no promises that it won't happen again...  and often.

I still managed to make it to the pool this morning.  I stretched a little longer.  I took a little longer to jump in the water.  But, when I was done with my 30 minutes, all of my pain was forgotten.  Here's to remembering that just because I want to be 20 doesn't make it so...

No comments:

Post a Comment