Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dr. Jarrett

Our family physician is Dr. Michael Jarrett.  I love Dr. Jarrett... though I have never visited as much as I should over the years.  That's likely because, like most males, I have a tendency to avoid doctors.  But, it could also be because he never had food available when I visited!  And my lack of recent visits might be attributed to the fact that the last time I visited for a physical I ended up having my first bout with diverticulitis.  So, I might have a little cause and effect mental block that I still need to work through.

The reason I love Dr. Jarrett is that he is a no-nonsense kind of guy.  Dr. Jarrett is a bit of a health nut... which seems kind of funny to even point out for a practitioner of health.  But, Dr. Jarrett is really a health nut.  And, while he has never been anything but supportive, he is also usually pretty blunt about his patient's health.  And while I should not speak for the good doctor, I believe that he believes that everybody should be healthy.  And, I like that.  I don't want a doctor who is going to give me even the slightest reason to be okay with my obesity.  I want a doctor who is a little disappointed in me.  I don't want a doctor who is eager to prescribe drugs to help me... though I have no issues with him prescribing such medication to others for valid reasons.  In the end, I want a doctor who makes me feel slightly guilty every time I go to see him if I'm not taking care of myself.  I think that is my doctor's role.  I am glad that Dr. Jarrett makes me feel sort of like a young boy going to see the principal or like a child knowing that my father is going to be disappointed in me. 

There is good and bad to that approach.  Obviously, for me, the good is that it gives me further motivation to lose weight... especially during those times that I know I am going to go in for a physical.  The bad thing about my not wanting to disappoint him is that is most likely the true reason that I have not had physicals more often over the years.

I am excited for Dr. Jarrett to see me now.  I can't wait to hear what he has to say and to see his reaction.  And, I can only say that you better be proud of me when I see you Dr. J.!  I realize now that I should probably send him this blog.  He might enjoy reading about this journey.  Yeah, I know he probably wishes I would have consulted my physician before making drastic changes to my lifestyle.  But, I think my success will justify my methods.

I apologize that I have not come to see you more often Dr. Jarrett.  I plan to schedule a physical for some time in September.  Not even sure why I chose September.  Maybe I just want a couple more months to lose even more weight.  Maybe it's because that was the month I had my last physical... though it was probably four years ago.  Maybe I want my scores to show how far I have come.  Here's to anticipating my next chat with Dr. Jarrett...

No comments:

Post a Comment