Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Noisy Stomach

One of the side effects of a drastic diet change is an upset stomach.  Our bodies expect what they are accustomed to. Our bodies adjust for an expected intake and timing of fat consumption and how long they need to store that fat.  Our bodies adapt, even to a bad diet.  

When we modify our diet, we upset this order.  This creates turmoil.  Even though the goal is to do right by our bodies, they don't get that at first.  An increase in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and fiber in general can create gas and upset our stomach.  

Every time I have started eating better, I have experienced this discomfort.  My stomach feels queasy.  My stomach feels like I ate something bad.  My stomach feels bloated.  My stomach even hurts.  And, my stomach talks to me like something out of a Pepto Bismol commercial.  When Lori makes a fruit and vegetable smoothie, it takes the express train to my stomach and starts the protest almost immediately.  This is usually worst the first week and then slowly subsides.  But, I have felt nauseous from eating good for as long as three weeks in the past.  

Eventually this discomfort goes away. Eventually our stomachs accept that we are actually trying to be good to them, make the necessary adjustments, and leave you alone.  I am looking forward to that day.  

The best thing about your body not liking what it's not accustomed to is that it works both ways.  Eventually, when you start eating better every day, your stomach will react the same way when you have that rare encounter with your exceptions, cheat days, and wayward moments.  That's a great thing!  It's a positive sign when your body sends a negative message that your brain seems to be failing at passing along.  Those messages come through loud and clear and modify behavior slowly, whether it be lessening the damage from those cheat days to removing those cheat days all together.

Here's to shutting up my stomach permanently and having it speak to me only when I truly need to hear what it's saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment