Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Love Chicago

I love Chicago.  Chicago has always been my favorite city.  Okay, I haven't been to every city in the world or even the United States.  But, other than New York City, I have been to most of the big cities in this country and to Sydney as well.  I like the feel of Chicago.  There is a certain grit about the city and I have always imagined that New York City would have a similar feel.  Maybe it's something about a cold weather city that makes it different.  Maybe the city seems 'harder' because of the winters.  Can you really have the feel of Boston, Pittsburgh, New York City, or Chicago if you have the kind of winters that Los Angelenos have to endure?

But, like many things in my life, I eventually come to the realization that most of the things I love are somehow based on my love of food.  So, maybe it's not the grit.  Maybe it's the fact that there are so many great places to eat in Chicago.  Maybe it's the fact that as I walk down the streets of Chicago towards my intended restaurant, I pass another five to ten that tempt me. 

I have talked about my love of the Food Channel and, more specifically, the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.  Whenever I travel, for business or pleasure, I always spend at least one night researching the restaurants that have been on DDD and other Food Channel shows such as Sandwich King (based in Chicago by the way!).  I watch youtube videos.  I make a list of the potential places to eat.  I ask the locals what they recommend.  I look at reviews on Yelp.  In summary, I spend way too much time planning where I am going to eat.

My success with using these sources has been hit and miss.  But, that's okay with me.  That has always been part of the adventure for me.  I don't want to go to the same restaurants I can go to anywhere.  I want to eat where the locals eat.  I like riding the trains to city locations I would never go to if not looking for a local favorite.  I like trying local foods that I have never had before.  I don't want to stop exploring new cities for new restaurants.  I like that experience.  I just want to stop feeling like I need to try everything on the menu. 

Last week, I went to Carson's Prime Steaks and Barbecue.  I ordered the roquefort wedge salad, baby back ribs, and their famous au gratin potatoes.  The salad was awesome.  And, it was huge.  I didn't quite finish it.  But, I wanted to.  I was already feeling full and hadn't even received my meal.  The potatoes were very good.  The ribs were average.  But, I kept eating them...the full rack and the potatoes.  Most likely because they were a little pricey.  Yeah, my company was paying for it.  But still, they were pricey!  When I was done, all I kept thinking about was how good the salad was. I don't even think I was that hungry when I sat down and I wondered why I hadn't saved my company almost $30 and just ordered the salad. The salad was not only excellent, it was more than enough for a full meal and not a light meal by any means.  When I left the restaurant, I was so full that I was uncomfortable walking to the train and to my hotel.  Not only did I not love the ribs, I ate them to the point of causing discomfort.  I am tired of that discomfort combined with that guilty feeling that I get almost immediately after.  Even more so when the item causing the discomfort was average at best.  I know better.  Yet, it doesn't seem to impact my decisions.

I want to continue to try new things without feeling that discomfort.  I want to go to new restaurants and order one item.  I want to go back to Carson's and order the wedge again, only the wedge, and leave happy and comfortable.  I want to go to Chicago and not gain four to five pounds every time.  I want to be able to continue to enjoy the adventure of experiencing a new city and it's local foods without making myself feel guilty or uncomfortable.

Next week I go back to Chicago.  My goal is to come back lighter than when I left.  Even when I was exercising on the road the couple of times I travelled during my previous weight-loss, I never came back lighter than when I left.  A successful trip was staying within a pound or two of my departure weight.  That would be a first!  And, for now, that is my plan.

Here's to the Windy City and not letting it end my latest journey right when it was just getting started...

No comments:

Post a Comment