Saturday, February 8, 2014

Little Tests Leading Up To The Big Test

Like a lot of things I will likely write over the next year, I know this topic has been written about in this blog before.  But, it bears repeating. Plus I can't remember every post I have written and don't feel like going back to the beginning to find out. 

Over the last couple of years I have gotten back in to the bad habit of not being able to get through any "event" without eating poorly.  My definition of events are all those things that are exceptions to me sticking to my normal eating routine at work or at home. These events include lunches with friends, business trips, weddings, vacations, dinners with friends, holidays, etc.  I would do well for a few days and then let a single event ruin all of my progres. 

From Monday to Wednesday, I didn't have any of these events.  I ate well at work.  I ate well at home.  It was easy.  On Thursday, I had my first event since starting again.  I had lunch plans with three of my best friends.  When we arrived at The Gold Dust, the specials board listed the bacon cheeseburger, with French fries, and a salad or soup.  I like their French fries and I really like their hamburgers... and, well you know how I feel about bacon and cheese.  On most days, that's probably what I would have gotten.  Instead, I ordered the turkey sandwich, took off the bottom bun, ate a salad with very little Italian dressing and skipped the Pepsi.  And, it tasted excellent.  My reward for eating like a normal person was a 1 pound weight loss.  Test #1 complete.

Yesterday, I went to Panda Express at lunch.  Before going, I made sure I planned what I was going to eat by looking online at the nutritional info on various dishes.  While I knew I wasn't going to get away from a heavy sodium meal, I still wanted to keep the calories and fat grams to a minimum.  So, I planned on mixed veggies, Black Pepper Chicken, and Firecracker Chicken.  510 calories total.  When I left the drive-through and got to the parking lot, I realized that they had accidentally given me fried rice instead of the veggies.  I heard the loud voice in my ear say not to go back in because it was cold outside and I really didn't want to get out of the car.  I heard another louder voice say that I should just eat the rice since it was probably just fate.  Then I heard a really faint voice tell me to get my ass out of the car and go get the veggies.  So, that's what I did.  The veggies were so good that I found myself wondering why it is so hard to order them without this little conversation in my head always taking place.  I skipped the soy sauce and the chile paste that I love.  The meal was excellent.  My reward for planning ahead and eating decently at Panda Express was a .8 pound weight loss.  Test #2 complete.

So, now I face the biggest test in this early stage of my latest journey... Chicago.  I sat down and did a preliminary plan of what I wanted to eat when I am there next week.  While it is subject to change, my plan, for the most part, is a redo of my trip last week.  I wanted to see if I could go to all of the same places - adventurous spirit be damned - and reduce my caloric intake substantially.  My plan would likely be 30-40% of the calories I ate last time!  I plan on working out every day in the hotel like I was doing three years ago.  And, I plan on coming back at the same weight or lighter than when I leave as opposed to the 5+ pound gain last time. 

Those first two tests seem like small things.  But, they were huge for me.  Those tests prove that I can handle the Chicago test.  Those tests give me a great deal of confidence.  While a bad week in Chicago won't mean the end of this journey, a good or great week in Chicago might springboard me to a great start.

Here's to doing Chicago right... well, a third of Chicago...

No comments:

Post a Comment