Tuesday, February 25, 2014

10:38

There has been one thing that has been very positive about my recent business travel to Chicago...  I have  been extremely busy with work.  Most nights I have worked until some time after 8:00 PM.  This is good for me because by the time I get out, I am usually to tired to go out to eat.  In addition, I have a tendency to find food when I have too much time on my hand.

Tonight, I was extremely tired by the time I left the office after not sleeping well last night.  I stopped by a little grocery store to pick up dinner and brought it back to my room to eat.  When I was done, I read a couple of chapters of Game of Thrones before Lori called.  We talked for some time, including a discussion of how neither of us was really in the mood to workout tonight.  Lori said she was going to do a P90x workout.  I knew she was working out only because I was still planning to work out.  I got off that call mostly because I knew I needed to get to the fitness center before I changed my mind.  Of course, I hung up and then started reading again.  

After reading another chapter and a half, I really didn't feel like working out and was about to crawl in to bed and just call it a night.  I glanced at the clock and it said 10:38.  Way too late to work out.  Plus, it would result in me going to bed way too late once again.

I stood there staring at the clock, talking to myself.  Unlike the grocery store last week, not a soul was there to witness the crazy person or judge me.  10:38.  Way too late.  10:38.  Well, I could just go and do 15 to 20 minutes on the treadmill.  10:38.  I could still workout 30 minutes and get to bed sooner than I did last night.  10:38.  I could also read another four or five chapters in that time.  10:38.  Lori is right now working out because I said I was.  10:38.  Just do it.

So, I did.  After 35 minutes on the treadmill, I walked to the other end of the fitness center where I hadn't walked before.  And, to my surprise, there I found dumbbells, kettle bells, jump ropes, and other equipment.  I was thrilled. I never knew this was there.  So, I lifted weights for about 10 minutes just because.

Then I wrote this blog.  Now, I am going to bed... at 11:46.

Here's to making the right choices at 10:38...

No comments:

Post a Comment