Thursday, August 12, 2010

myfitnesspal.com

I have referenced the myfitnesspal.com (MFP) website in the past.  But, I wanted to go in to a little more detail about the website that has now become my home page.

I have tried other fitness websites in the past.  I can't even recall the first one I tried a couple of years ago.  I know I tried livestrong.com briefly and was using that site when a friend, Sue Cozzetta, pointed me in the direction of MFP.  I liked the interface right away and found it to be far easier to use than the livestrong.com site.  So, I made the move and have never looked back. 

MFP is more than a calorie and exercise tracking site.  Far more.  One of the best features of the site is the social aspect and the supportive relationships that are built.  I mentioned this before, but while I think this aspect of the site is incredible, it is not the reason I like the site.  I am not a big rah-rah kind of guy.  I don't need someone telling me how everything is going to get better.  I don't need a barrage of cliches to help me through my struggles.  But, a LOT of people do.  And, I think it's great that this site provides that... especially for those folks who really need that support.

If you are thinking about a site for your own personal weight-loss journeys, I highly recommend MFP.  Here are some of the things it offers...
  • calorie tracking - With a huge library of foods, it is easy to track the nutritional values of just about anything you can think of.  Other than homemade meals with unique ingredients, I have rarely found an item that wasn't in the database.  In addition, MFP has added a new feature for building the nutritional data for a meal based on the ingredients that go in to making that meal.  The calorie tracker includes frequently used items, recently used items, and a personal meal database.  You can also complete a day and MFP will estimate your weight if you were to continue with similar days over a five week period.
  • exercise tracking - It is always difficult to put a generic value on the calories burned for any activity because of all of the variables.  But MFP has a nice database of activities that at least give you ballpark figures.
  • recommended values - MFP provides recommended nutritional goals based on your weekly weight-loss goals, your weight, and your non-exercise activity.  These values are continually updated as requested or after every 10 pounds lost.
  • reporting - The site provides plenty of useful reports.  My favorite is the detailed nutritional values of your meals. 
  • other tools - There are other tools to calculate such things as Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate and nifty little widgets for creating tickers and badges.
  • Facebook integration - Several items can be automatically posted as your Facebook status as they are updated in MFP.  I have chosen only to update my weight loss because I think that is arrogant and obnoxious enough and nobody wants to see every single thing logged in MFP.  But, you have that option!
  • social networking - MFP provides messaging capabilities, a place for blogging, a community forum, and the ability to add friends.  
  • community forum - This forum is filled with any weight-loss question you can imagine.  It also has recipes and advice.  One of the more popular sub-forums is called Motivation and Support.  Inside of this forum are several support groups, including the Fab Four group to which I belong.  All of these groups have different challenges, timelines, requirements, etc.  But, they manage to bring like-minded individuals together and offer tons of support.
  • iPhone app - MFP has an iPhone/iPad app that allows you to update your information remotely.
  • The best part about MFP?  It's free!
One of our fellow MFP members was featured on the Today show.  Tamara makes me look like a little sissy girl with my 88 pounds lost!  I am not sure what her goal weight was.  But, she got there in 11 months and 5 days.  She lost a total of 141 pounds overall and looks like a completely different person.  She talks highly of MFP being the difference maker.  My favorite part is that she talks about hard work and eating right as the keys.  They even mention "no magic pill" in the interview.  Tamara had one of those a-ha moments and changed her life.  Awesome!  Make sure you watch the whole video so you can catch her hubby's shit-eating grin towards the end... classic! 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38625333#38625333

Here's to myfitnesspal.com and the wonderful service they provide to me and countless others just like Tamara...

No comments:

Post a Comment