Sunday, August 22, 2010

Addicted

Yes, it's official!  I am an addict.  I am completely addicted to the gym and exercising. 

This morning, we got up early to drive up to Colorado Springs for a hike with some friends.  While not as long as our last two ventures, the 6.2 mile hike around Waldo Canyon was perfect.  [Yes, the Music Pass was postponed due to time constraints.  But, is still planned in the near future]  It was the perfect distance and the perfect difficulty level and left us tired but not worn out.  After our two 9+ mile hikes, this one seemed like a stroll through the woods.  I knew the distance would be shorter and I knew the elevation gain wasn't as steep.  But, I was still thinking it might take us longer than it did.  With only a couple of brief stops, we were back to the car in a little over four hours. 

Even with stopping for a quick lunch, we were still home way sooner than I expected.  When my son asked us if we were going to the gym, I felt that old familiar feeling of excitement.  I never thought we would be back in time when we originally planned the day and it never occurred to me on the drive home either.  I was thrilled.  Yes!  I was still going to the gym. 

This is one of the reasons I prefer to weigh daily.  After grilling steaks last night, I had gained a pound this morning and was now 223.8 and back under 90 pounds total.  Knowing that influenced my excitement at being able to get to the gym to burn a few extra calories to offset my yummy meal the evening before.  This ability to respond quickly makes these exceptions far easier to take for me.

After a 2.5 mile walk on the treadmill, I now had put in 8.7 miles on the day.  A short workout on, you guessed it, my legs, and I finally felt like I had enough.  Here's to healhty addictions...

Tomorrow:  The complete Waldo Canyon Loop recap.

No comments:

Post a Comment