Saturday, August 21, 2010

The LIVESTRONG Bet... Thanks Kevin!

In early July, as the Tour De France was about to get underway, I, like most American cycling fans, was rooting for Lance Armstrong to win another Tour and to retire on top of the grandest stage in cycling.  Despite being an Armstrong fan and wanting him to do well, my gut told me that it would be difficult for him to pull off an eighth win and I didn't believe his Radio Shack team was strong enough.  So, I bet a young friend, Kevin Cover, that Lance Armstrong would not pull off the miracle.  It hardly seemed like a fair bet since he needed Lance to win and I only needed anybody else to win... including pre-race favorites Alberto Contador and Andy Schleck.  And, in a bit of irony, Kevin came up with the novel idea of making the stakes a LIVESTRONG shirt.

While Lance showed well, he had a series of unfortunate events, something he had rarely experienced in previous tours, and fell back too far to have any legitimate chance after about the halfway point.  Kevin conceeded and asked me what shirt I wanted and what size.  I debated getting the XXL that I was wearing when the bet was conceeded.  But, my mind couldn't wrap itself around wearing an XXL LIVESTRONG shirt.  It almost seemed like an oxymoron.  So, knowing that I would be there soon, I asked for an XL.

Today, Kevin stopped by to drop off my winnings.  Sorry I missed you Kevin... would have liked to have said hello.  Based on the XL Nike golf polo I had gotten earlier in the week for my birthday actually fitting me, I had hope.  And, while not a perfect fit... I could still stand to lose at least 5 more pounds for it to look better... it still fit!  And, I loved it.  I pulled out the pair of LIVESTRONG shorts I had purchased a month earlier in anticipation of receiving the shirt.  Please, no metrosexual comments.  So, I had to have a photo taken so you can continue to see my progress.  Below is the new 223-pound version of me in my new shirt...


So, thanks Kevin!  Not only for betting me and making good on your word, but also for being one of my biggest supporters.  Kevin is a great kid and a bit of a health nut himself.  He has been generous with his comments and helped motivate me along the way.

And, finally, before everyone gets up in my grill about Lance Armstrong's discretions, I get it.  I don't idolize him as a person.  I admire what he was able to do.  I am impressed with his determination in coming back from cancer to win seven Tour De Frances... even if he did use performance-enhancing drugs like every other cyclist.  But, like Michael Jordan and all of my other sports heroes, my admiration ends on the playing field.  I learned long ago to separate my amazement of the physical feats of my idols from their personal lives... right or wrong.  I like what the LIVESTRONG brand stands for.  I hope that a large amount of these funds truly go to cancer research.  And, I like what the logo and words mean to me personally.  Oh yeah, and let's be honest, I think the apparel looks pretty damn cool as well! 

Here's to moving from an XXXL to an XL in five short months and striving to live strong...

No comments:

Post a Comment