Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can-Am Spyder Roadster

When my son was a young boy, I took him for a ride on my motorcycle.  We were just planning a short ride down the Beulah Highway.  Shortly after taking off, we had a car pull dangerously close in front of us.  I had to swerve pretty hard and almost lost the bike.  We continued our ride, but I was pretty shaken.  I got home that night and wasn't sure that I wanted to keep the bike any longer.  At the very least, I no longer wanted to take Niko or Kelsea for a ride. 

That moment spooked me pretty good.  I started weighing the thrill of riding a motorcycle with the risks of having a family without a father and a husband.  Right then I decided that it was time to sell the motorcycle.  I have never regretted that decision... though I have never stopped longing to get on a motorcycle again.  This is even worse in the summers here in Pueblo as the crotch rockets come out of hibernation.

A few years later, I bought a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder.  I figured if I couldn't ride a motorcycle, a convertible was the next closest and far safer thing.  That was a great decision and I try to drive with the top down every opportunity I get.  I love it in the Spring and Fall.  But, that top is still down in the Summer... some times with the air conditioning on.   And, I have been known to drive it on cold days with the heater on as well!  Other than rain, snow, or bitter cold, that top is off.  And, even small amounts of rain typically don't deter my top-free rides.

A couple of years ago, I saw an incredible thing at Dutch Clark Stadium.  There in the parking lot was a yellow and black three-wheeled motorcycle (those terms might actually contradict each other).  But, the two wheels were in the front rather than in the back like a typical trike.  To me, it was a thing of beauty.  It had similar lines to the Sea-Doo I had owned a few years back.  After a little research on the internet, I found out that it was a Can-Am Spyder Roadster and it was made by Bombardier Recreational Products, the same company that makes Sea-Doos and snow mobiles.  I have wanted one ever since.

Recently, I saw an advertisment in a magazine for the new touring line of the Can-Am Spyder Roadster.  So, I yet again found myself on the BRP website customizing different Roadsters and longing to own one.  Here are some photos of a couple that I customized. 

The fist one is the sportier RS model similar to the one that I saw that very first night.

The next one is the decked out version of the RS... called the RSS.  I have added a padded backrest for Lori's comfort.


The last one is the new touring model, the RTS.  Wow! 


I still want one.  I would love to have the feel of a motorcycle with the safety of an extra wheel.  I love everything about this roadster.  And, ever since I started looking at the site last night, all I can think about is having one and riding through the mountains on our way to another hike.  A ride on a roadster catching the views followed by more views on a hike.  Sounds perfect to me.

So, while I still hope to be the official "Jared-like" spokesperson for The Earl of Sandwich, I am also putting out feelers to BRP to become the official Roadster spokesman.  I think an ad campaign featuring a guy who changed his life and embraced his new life by hitting the open road on a new Roadster would be huge!  If anyone knows someone at BRP, please pass this along.  In case that doesn't pan out, I am now taking donations to my CRAP... the Can-Am Roadster Affordability Plan.  E-mail, message or call me for an address to send checks to.  I promise to thank each of you personally on this blog and to thank you out loud on top of a mountain!  Barring donations, I will continue to pray for the lotto... wish me luck.

Here's to exciting new fantasies with my exciting new life...

No comments:

Post a Comment