Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me!

Way back in March, as I set out upon this life-changing journey, I set some early goals of what I really thought I could lose if I put my mind to it.  That night, I thought to myself that I would love to be under 225 by my birthday.  At the time, I needed to lose a little more than 70 pounds.  And, while I missed that goal by half a pound, the first three numbers on that scale this morning said 225 and I will take it. 

I DID IT!  Well, not "IT", since "IT" is actually getting below 200 pounds.  But, I did "it".  I worked my ass off and gave myself the best gift I could think of... good health.  Okay, maybe better health might be appropriate at this early juncture.  Today, I turned 46 years old.  Almost hard to believe that I am four years from 50.  Last year on my 45th birthday, I felt 50.  This year, I feel like I am almost 35 again! 

Today was a weird day for me.  A whole range of emotions occupied that little mind of mine from morning until I write to you now.  I was a little tired today.  That will happen when you go to bed at 12:45 and wake up at 5:45.  I debated getting up and was proud of myself when I did.  I was in a good mood as I swam.  Then the emotions shifted as I stepped on the scale and saw the damages from the chicken wings I ate yesterday.  I was expecting it.  But, I was still hoping that I would see a number under 225.  So, I headed to work slightly grumpy and got grumpier as the morning rolled on.  It was a combination of a lot of things...  my weight gain, my lack of progress over the last week, that crappy feeling I get when I eat too much fat the day before, and various other things... oh yeah, and that five hours of sleep.  I started feeling a little better when I checked e-mail and saw the birthday messages begin to roll in and I got my first birthday call from my Dad.  Thanks to everyone who sent their wishes via phone, e-mail, or Facebook!

I came home and ate a healthy meal.  And, that put me in a better mood.  Yeah, I wanted to celebrate at Mi Ranchito's.  I would have loved a margarita.  Even felt guilty that my obsessiveness was keeping my family from celebrating my birthday and going out.  But, that weigh-in kept weighing on my mind (lol) and I couldn't do it.  I enjoyed a great meal.  And, my very supportive family assured me that they were perfectly fine with whatever I wanted for my birthday.  I promise that next year we will actually go out to Mi Ranchito's for my birthday and I will have two stinkin' margaritas!

The night was uneventful, but enjoyable.  I already got my birthday gift about a month ago when I bought some new golf clubs.  My 20 year old Northwestern clubs (Walmart specials) were more than outdated.  My driver was smaller than most modern hybrids!  So, I broke down and got new ones.  I have enjoyed the new clubs and slowly getting back in to golf. 

Oh, and I did get some new hiking boots yesterday... though it really wasn't labeled as a "birthday" purchase.  I love these boots and I can't wait to put them to good use this weekend when we scale Music Pass up to the Upper and Lower Sand Creek Lakes in the Sangre De Cristo Range.  That's how I want to celebrate my birthday... with a weekend that includes a golf tournament on Saturday, a birthday party for one of the kids that Lori watches, and a hike on Sunday! 

After dinner, I went out on this beautiful night and picked weeds in the garden.  And, weird as it may sound, that put me in a better mood and left me quite content.  When it got dark, we went to the health club.  There is no other place I would rather end my birthday at then the gym!  I had a great workout... well, as good as one can expect with this tired mind and body. 

And now, I am exhausted.  My eyes are tired.  My head hurts.  My body is tired.  I may actually go to bed by 11:30 tonight!  No guarantees though.  Here's to giving myself many extra years as my birthday adds one to my official age...

No comments:

Post a Comment