Monday, August 30, 2010

Have You Heard This Before?

I know I have said this before, but there is no better compliment than having people not recognize me.  The frequency in which I get that awkward look from people as I approach them with a smile or a hello has increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks.  I can see the confusion in their eyes and then that moment of recognition.  This occurred again yesterday at the gym when I ran in to Mark Gregory.  I believe I had to say, "Hey Mark!" before he actually realized who I was. 

It never gets old.  I can truly think of no better barometer of my success than having people I know well not even know who I am.  I sometimes need to remind myself of this as I see people I know glance at me without saying hello.  I have that initial split second reaction of irritation that I am being ignored and then I am reminded that they probably didn't realize who it was.  It's not that you can't see the old me inside of the new me's face.  It's just that people get accustomed to certain images.  We glance around at people in malls and our brain registers very quickly based on body size, shape, hair color, walk, and other movement patterns.  If those same cues are not their, we have a tendency to quickly process that thought and move on. 

OR...  maybe people are just ignoring me!

Quick night tonight.  Busy week coming to an end tomorrow.  I promise to be back tomorrow night with pics and the story of our hike around Pueblo Mountain Park and I promise to fill the remainder of the week even if I have to consult my list o' blog ideas!  Here's to becoming that creepy thin guy that always says hello but nobody knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment