Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tired...

Tired today.  Up too late as always.  Long day at work.  And, my knee is not happy with me at the moment.  Most likely because after my last knee surgery a few years ago, my doctor told me that I had no cartiledge left!  So, the jarring of bone on bone for 45 minutes is catching up with me.  It's a catch-22 that I need to lose so much weight but the fact that I am carrying all of that extra weight is the reason my knee hurts in the first place.  The positive thing about having a knee sans cartiledge is that it no longer locks up on me!  Yes, despite hating my fat ass, I still remain the eternal optimist.  lol.  So, I will continue to monitor the pain and adjust my workouts accordingly.  Don't want to be forced to stop working out at this point.  Mentally, I am doing fantastic.  Aerobically, I am doing great.  But, physically, the old joints are still adjusting.  They have asked me to get rid of some more pounds soon or they plan a mutiny. 

Only went about 2.9 miles before the treadmill completely stopped in mid-walk!  This is the second time this has happened to me on two different treadmills in the last week.  I am starting to get a complex!  But, I know I have seen bigger people on them and have seen others going way faster.  So, for now, I will hope it is just bad luck.  The good news is that I haven't fallen.  But, it is not the best feeling lunging forward.  And, it was made worse because I had just raised my speed to finish out the last couple of minutes. 

Despite being tired, I kept a decent pace though slightly slower than the last few nights.  But, at the 30 minute mark I looked in the reflection of the window to see AJ Walton in the room downstairs working his butt off!  I have always been impressed by young kids that have the willpower and determination to work that hard by themselves.  AJ is probably 17-18 and he was running himself through various drills at maximum speed.  It looked like he was getting ready for football.  I don't even know if he plays.  Regardless, I was impressed by the effort.  It reminded me of a Centennial soccer player from many years ago.  I don't remember her name anymore.  But, I remember practicing with my girls' soccer team in the summers and seeing her out on the pitch putting herself through the paces.  Not just dribbling the ball or taking shots on goal.  Not the kind of casual workout one does when they want to say they worked out but don't really want to hurt.  But, working herself out like she had an Olympic coach in her ear driving her.  Talk about motivation!  After that, I upped the speed and cranked out the last 15 minutes of my workout.  Thanks AJ!  Here's to finding motivation in unusual places...

No comments:

Post a Comment