Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Best Laid Plans... (or how I failed my test)

Yes, as Robert Burns wrote, "The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley [often go astray]".  A tip for those of you going through this same struggle, do not plan a trip to Las Vegas the week after you start!  My Friday started with a late night packing and less than five hours of sleep.  When the alarm sounded at 6 AM for my personal "last-chance workout" before I went on vacation, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.  While I have craved my nightly club visits, those who know me can attest to the fact that I am no morning person... especially after limited sleep.  First question on my test and I had already missed one (90%)!  The morning walks in LV sounded like a great idea... until I walked what seemed like 15 miles the first night just getting around the strip.  All of us were so tired from walking the first night that I could hardly imagine walking the four corners.  When we finally woke up not much before noon on Saturday, both the desire to walk and any chance of doing it without a crowd had passed.  Two questions... two misses (80%).  I planned to eat as well as I could.  For three days, I did as well as one can do in Vegas save for an ice cream cone and maybe a few too many Chicken McNuggets.  I would like to take half credit for this part of the test.  But, alas, my biggest failure came when we decided to eat at the Carnival Buffet at The Rio on Monday afternoon.  A buffet... and a third miss (70%). 

I enjoyed the buffet.  Like I always do when I am consuming large amounts of good food.  And, let me add that the Carnival Buffet is one of the best I have ever seen.  I don't think I touched even 10% of the items and still left the table way too full and way too ill.  I liken a buffet to that high school or college girlfriend that was wild and crazy.  The girl you knew you shouldn't date, but you couldn't help yourself because she was so damn fun.  But, the next day that voice would tell you that you were making a mistake and needed to stay as far away as possible.  Well, that voice started whispering in my ear before I even left the table... okay, let's be honest, before I even finished my last plate of food.  It got louder as I stood up and started walking and continued to grow in volume the rest of the day.  I called my wife immediately... I think to make a confession...  and tell her to never let me go to a buffet again!  I can only say that I think it will be my last.  Though I have no reason to believe that anyone reading this will or should believe me.  Of course, that assumes you are still reading this.  I can only ask that you forgive me and stay with me.  That buffet still feels like it is with me two and a half days later.  And, it helped me gain 2.3 pounds back again.  I believe without it, that I would have came back at the same weight or slightly lower.  So, again, the buffet negated any points for all the good eating on the other days.

My final test, limit my alcohol consumption.  I wasn't planning on going cold turkey... it was my son's 21st birthday celebration after all.  But, I think I did fairly well in the moderation department regarding my beer intake.  The big pitchers of beer at Bill's were perfect and got each night kick-started.  But, my consumption after that was limited.  I will give myself 4 out of 10 points which drops me to a 64%.  A failing grade. 

The final straw that broke the proverbial camel's back?  I packed three mandarin oranges in my suitcase to have at the hotel and while traveling.  Even worried about whether they could be taken on the plane.  Well, it turns out that they could not only be taken on the plane, but they are allowed on the return trip as well!  So, as I unpacked my three mandarin oranges that I completely forgot about, I thought "isn't that ironic".  Of course, I wasn't sure if it was truly ironic until I checked the lyrics to "Ironic" by Alanis Morrissette.  Here is the lyric...

It's like rain on your wedding day,
It's a free ride when you've already paid,
It's the three oranges that you just didn't eat,
When who would've thought it figures.

So, there you have it.  If Alanis says it's ironic, then it is truly ironic.  Despite the fact that her examples are, ironically, not ironic!  Sorry for the tangent.  Just a little family joke between my brother and I, you can find more about it here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_(song).

The oranges?  At least 3% more taken off of my score.  So, a 61% for my trip.  But, I was back in the club tonight and eating well today.  My only accomplishment in Vegas was forgetting Vegas. And, while I don't want to downplay my mistakes, I don't want to dwell on them either.  I guess this is one good example of What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas!  No need to be discouraged or give up.  Just learn and strive to do better next time.

By the way, we ate several times at our Vegas favorite, The Earl of Sandwich.  Jarred can have Subway.  When I get fit, I am bucking to be The Earl of Sandwich spokesman... or the actual Earl of Sandwich!  That is one (actually several) great sandwich(es) at an incredible bargain right in the middle of Planet Holywood!  By the way, we had a blast!  Here's to losing more than just my money on the next trip to Vegas...

No comments:

Post a Comment