Monday, March 29, 2010

A Day of Rest

Let me first reiterate... 291.6!  This was especially good news after waking up and feeling heavier this morning.  Not sure why.  I ate well yesterday.  Worked out.  But, I just felt heavier.  I was thrilled to see that I had lost more weight.

Well, today was a day of rest.  I worked out pretty hard this weekend and my knees and shins were starting to hurt a little bit.  I also spent half the day yesterday underneath our kitchen sink installing a new garbage disposal.  Mondays are always a struggle for me.  Lori and I have always been late-night people and our bedtime is typically midnight to 1:00 AM during the week and even later on the weekends.  I always have a hard time going to bed early on Sunday night and we have a Planning Team meeting every Monday morning that forces me to get up earlier than I would like.  So, I am typically a little tired on Monday nights and it is easily my least active night of the week.  After a busy weekend, tonight was no exception.  So, I decided to take it easy.

Okay, okay.  Before all of you start shaking your head and saying "shame on you Anthony", let me explain.  I do not plan on taking any nights off unless there are circumstances beyond my control.  My day of rest meant that I was going to go to the club and only go about 30 minutes on the treadmill.  My son asked me if we were going and if I had to make myself go each night.  Well, I haven't had to save for one other night, but I did today.  But, it wasn't a hard decision.  Last year, two years ago, five years ago, or any other time I have tried to lose weight in the past it would have been and I would have likely stayed home.  But, not this time.  This time is different.  Because I don't think I have too many more "this times" left.  I am running out of time to make that change.  So, I never even considered the possibility of actually staying home. 

So, I made it to the club with 30 minutes in mind.  I knew I wanted to walk at a slower pace to rest my knees, shins, and joints.  I settled in at 4 miles per hour and got in a groove.  About halfway through I realized that my shins and knees felt good.  Maybe it was because I wasn't pushing as hard.  But, I wasn't feeling the pain I expected.  So, as 30 minutes approached I realized that I easily had 40 minutes in me.  By the time I hit 40 I figured I was one more song away from doing 45.  I forwarded to a more upbeat song, Melissa Etheridge's "Giant" and upped my mph to 4.6.  I felt good as Melissa belted out "I am a giant!" and sang along heartily (a topic for another night's blog post).  I don't think I was really ready to stop at 45 minutes.  3.10 miles and 671 calories later I was finished and I felt great... once again.  I'll rest when I die and I would like to put that particular rest off as long as I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment