Monday, January 3, 2011

New Faces... And 300 Straight Days!

There is an annual phenomenon that happens at health clubs across America.  I alluded to it a couple of days ago in my New Year's post.  It's the annual pilgrimage that takes place in January as countless millions set out with renewed hope at finally keeping their resolution to get fit and lose weight.  Health clubs and gyms are filled with enthusiasm...  and lots of people.  This phenomenon is duplicated in a reduced form at the beginning of each month during the year.  You can even see a slight difference each and every Monday. 

As expected, the Pueblo Athletic Club was packed tonight.  I would guess that there were easily triple the amount of people that are normally there.  Every machine was being used.  The track was full.  The parking lot was full.  The staff was busy showing potential newbies what the PAC has to offer.  

Unlike many of the PAC regulars, I like the influx of new recruits.  I like the excitement that New Year's resolutions bring.  I like the energy.  I like a club full of enthusiastic people trying to change their lives.  I am rooting for each and every one of them to be successful.  I hope and pray that they all can put in 300 straight days of exercise... the number I reached today!  A friend tonight said it will thin out by the end of January.  My son reiterated the same sentiment tonight.  And, I know they are right.  I fully expect that next Monday will be less crowded.  The next Monday will be less than that.  And so on.  That bums me out.  As I said the other day, I can only hope that it thins out less than it has in previous years.  I want some new "regulars"!   As a matter of fact, I would like some of these folks to show up every Friday so we don't feel so alone in the club! 

Sure, we had to park a little further away and that really sucked considering how bitter cold it was out there tonight.  But, I don't mind.  Some of the regulars think they are entitled... like they own the place.  They expect to use "their" machine.  Yeah, I gravitate towards a couple of treadmills that I like and that tend to be slightly more reliable than the others.  But, I am not upset when I don't get to use them.   I don't get angry because people are walking the wrong way on the track.  That attitude, at least to me, seems against everything that a health club should be about. 

Here's to the annual January migration of newbies... I wish you every success and continued willpower...

No comments:

Post a Comment