Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year... Now Get Busy!

Okay, all of you people who have told me that you were going to get started as soon as the holidays were over.  To all of you who have said that I have "inspired" you.  You know who you are.  No more talking about it!  The holidays are over.  So, get off your butt and get busy.  No really, I mean it!  Right now.  Stop reading this blog for an hour and go do something.  Since the club was closed, I started the new year off by bundling up and taking my son's husky on a great hour long walk through the snow.  The snow was so bad in places that I felt like I was hiking.  Now it's your turn.  Put a dvd in.  Do some yoga.  Lift some weights.  Do anything.  But, get busy!

Okay, I shouldn't be preaching on this night.  For the second straight month, I gained weight.  I start 2011 at 209.8 pounds.  I really wanted to write about that sign at the Pueblo Athletic Club that said the average American gains 8-14 pounds over the holidays.  First, because I have never understood how an average can be "8-14".  Wouldn't that be an average of 11?  I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were referring to multiple studies where the average has been somewhere between 8 and 14...  but, I know better.  Secondly, because I so badly wanted to disprove this theory and actually lose weight over the holidays.  And, if I hadn't enjoyed last night so much, I would have.  But sadly, I fell victim to the holidays like most of you.  Though I can say that I went from 207.8 on November 1 to 209.8 on January 1.  So, I still gained less than the average American!  Goodie for me...

I won't make a resolution.  I have made countless resolutions over the years and failed.  But, I will promise to continue doing what I have done over the last 10 months.  No resolution.  Maybe we will call it a renewed focus.  The holidays are over.  No more excuses.  No more people telling me that "it's just one day". 

I will be back in the club tomorrow morning...  along with all of the throngs of people who made their resolutions and will begin strong tomorrow or on Monday.  Sadly, the club will thin out as January progresses.  I wish it would stay busy.  I wish everyone could find the motivation I found to change their lives.  I will pray that the decline in numbers is less drastic than in normal years.

Despite my two pounds gained, I woke up this morning with a smile on my face as I reflected on this past year.  I start 2011 over 100 pounds lighter than where I started 2010.  Last year, I did not wake up and go for an hour long walk in the cold and snow.  We went to Village Inn for lunch today and I had a garden salad.  Last year, I would not have had the garden salad.  I am different now and I believe that the changes are permanent.  Not that the last two months haven't made me question my resolve or made me a little nervous.  But, I am confident that this is a minor blip on the radar screen of my life.  Maybe next year I can go through the holiday season without gaining any weight!

As we close the book on 2010, I would like to reiterate my thanks and appreciation for all of you who have read this blog, provided continued positive reinforcement, and also provided inspiration to me along this journey.  You are the reason this was possible.  Knowing you were reading this blog, knowing how much you cared, knowing what this meant to so many is the reason why I have been successful.  The blog was all about accountibility and you were who I was accountible to.  I am not sure I could have done any of this without this blog.  So, thanks again for being there for me.

Here's to each of you finding your motivation to make changes, whether they be weight-related or not, and here's to a great 2011...

Okay, you are still reading this and you never got up.  I get it, you wanted to finish reading first.  I am done now.  SO, GET BUSY!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment