Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Marinucci

I know this blog is supposed to be about losing weight.  But, every once in a while, I take a break to actually talk about food.  Inevitably, those posts are about those things I find hard to resist.  One of those temptations is a Pueblo tradition known as the slopper.

For those of you reading who don't live in Pueblo, have never been to Pueblo, or live in Pueblo but have never left your house or spoken to a fellow Puebloan, you might not know what a slopper is.  The slopper is a Pueblo creation that consists of a cheeseburger smothered in green chili.  Of course, some of you from places unknown might not even know what green chili is.  Green chili is a soup-like concoction, much like red chili, that is made with pork, green chile peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic and various other ingredients depending on the recipe.  Pueblo is famous for that as well.  And, the best green chilis are made with Pueblo green chile peppers.  But, I digress.

There is much debate on the origination of the slopper.  When I first moved here, I always heard that the slopper was created at The Star Bar, a restaurant that has since closed, been purchased, and then re-opened.  Over the years, I have heard that Gray's Coors Tavern was where this infamous dish originated.  In the end, it really doesn't matter.  But, to whoever truthfully invented the slopper, I say thank you.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slopper

The second debate is who makes the best slopper.  That debate was worthy of a visit by the television show Food Wars in 2010.  If you never saw the show, Food Wars went to different cities that were known for signature dishes and would have two restaurants, with claims to having the best, duel it out for bragging rights.  The show ended with five judges, including two who were loyalists to each of the restaurant, doing a blind taste test of these dishes and voting for their favorite.  The Star Bar may claim to have invented the dish, but they no longer were considered worthy enough of competing in this challenge and the battle came down to Gray's Coors Tavern and The Sunset Inn.  

In the end, The Sunset Inn won 3-2 to claim bragging rights.  I am a fan of The Sunset Inn slopper and I was thrilled that they got it right.  Many other Coors' fans didn't feel the same way.  I think that The Set has far superior green chili, a better burger patty, a bigger slopper, and better French fries.  But, if you ask around in Pueblo, you will find that many or more disagree.  If I had to guess what the percentages would be, I would say that it would be close to a 70-30% advantage for Gray's Coors Tavern.  Don't get me wrong, I love Gray's.  I like their slopper, even if I don't love it.  I love the atmosphere at this old time bar.  I love the baseball gloves on the walls.  Coors is a pretty awesome place.  I just don't think their slopper compares to The Sunset Inn's.  Of course, I also don't like Do Drop pizza or The Mill Stop Cafe, two things that are close to sacrilegious in this town.  This blog may get me stoned.

Okay, now that we have established some slopper history, let's get to what tonight's blog is all about, The Marinucci.  Sometime over the years, I started ordering the slopper a certain way that quickly became my regular order.  I can't even take full credit for The Marinucci.  My buddy, Russ Drury, ordered this very thing or something close to it when I went to The Set with him for lunch one day.  The Marinucci is a green chili slopper with Italian sausage instead of hamburger, cheese on top, no top hamburger bun, fries on top of that, smothered in green chili.  Trust me, it is awesome.  The Italian sausage gives it an added kick and the combo of spicy from The Set's green chili and their sausage is perfect.  

I get this every time I go.  I also tell everyone I know to get this.  Every time my office has out-of-towners in on business, we take them to The Set so they can try this version of the slopper.  I usually order first and then the rest of the group just says they will have what I am having.  To date, I have never seen anyone leave anything in their bowl (yes, non-Puebloans, sloppers are served in bowls at most places) and no one has been disappointed.  I have even gotten my office to exclusively go to The Set over Coors.  I recommend The Set to family and friends.  In fact, I just went today with my friend Joel Thompson, his wife Joanie, and his brother Greg for their first Set experience and their first sausage slopper experience.  They loved it!  And, I loved mine even if I wasn't supposed to be eating it on my current weight loss journey.

Recently, my boss started calling this specific version The Marinucci and kiddingly asks the waitresses for it when they take our order.  The sausage version used to cause some confusion.  But, it seems the waitresses are used to it enough now that it is no longer a problem.  But, rather than create confusion, and in the interest of letting others share in this taste of perfection, I am lobbying to have this item added to the menu.  I am officially asking The Sunset Inn to add The Marinucci to the menu.  I encourage friends, family, and co-workers to ask for The Marinucci if you want to try this at The Sunset and then explain what it is until it is added.  

To The Sunset Inn, I ask that you consider adding this to your menu.  Actually, I beg this of you.  If the cost of new menus and lamination is the concern, my son has graciously said that he could get his employer, Standard Sales, to cover the costs of new menus and lamination.  So, there really is no reason not to add it!  

The Pueblo Chieftain does an annual Christmas list in the Sports section.  On Christmas day, the entire front page of the sports section says Merry Christmas to a long list of Pueblo sports stars, people involved in sports in the community, and even famous pro athletes.  When I moved here, I always thought it would be cool to make that list.  When my son was a sophomore or junior in high school, he made the list for the first time.  I was thrilled for him... and a little jealous.  The next year, I finally made the list!  I felt like I had finally made it in Pueblo.  This year, my name was next to my son's and our names were between Devon Manning, a young man I coached in hoops, and Peyton Manning, an NFL... well, you know who he is.  I thought that was big time.  But, having a version of the slopper at a restaurant that won Food Wars for this signature dish named after you would be the ultimate big time!  So, readers, please help me with my campaign.

Here's to The Marinucci... and The Sunset Inn...

No comments:

Post a Comment