Saturday, September 13, 2014

228.4

Down only 1.4 pounds from yesterday.  Not a great number heading in to the weekend.  But, I feel great.  Because for the first time in three years, I ran again!  This morning I ran/walked in a 5K.  My plan all week, despite no running and knees slowly returning to form, was to walk some and run a little if it felt okay.  I started out in a jog and felt pretty good.  I walked when I got winded. But, found that my knees weren't hurting as bad as I expected.  So, I kept alternating.  In the end, I ended up running just under half of the 5K.  I would estimate somewhere around 45%.  I estimated my time at 45 minutes.  While I haven't gotten my official time, I am guessing I finished around 35 minutes... 40 at the maximum.  I will update you when I know.

Tomorrow, I ride in a 12.4 mile bike ride.  Last year I finished near the back.  I wasn't in shape.  I hadn't been riding.  And, I was almost 50 pounds heavier.  This year, my goal is to shave off at least 30 minutes from my time.

So, why am I sharing this with you?  Or, bragging about such pedestrian numbers?  Because despite my disappointment in the last couple of months, today I felt proud that I ran.  I felt proud that I pushed through some pain.  I felt proud that I felt so good running and walking 3 miles in the early morning.  I feel proud that I am going to ride my bike tomorrow. I felt proud that I am not the same person that I was a year ago and continue to move forward both physically and mentally.  I am thrilled that my knees held up and I am still walking right now.  In fact, Lori and I are about to go on a four mile walk down by the river.

This is how I look today.  It's not where I want to be.  But, it's a far cry better than seven months ago!  That light jacket that I have on is still a little snug.  But, I have never worn it and it never fit me when I bought it probably more than a year ago.  That makes me smile too.


Oh, and yeah, I like bright colors.

Here's to running the entire way next year...

Starting weight (this time): 278.4
Current weight: 228.4
Change from previous: (1.4)
Total: (50.0)
Total Days: 220 

No comments:

Post a Comment