Friday, September 19, 2014

11:22

I have always stated that while the very nature of a blog has vanity written all over it, the intent of this blog is not grounded in it.  I have never denied that there isn't a part of me that gets some satisfaction at posting my successes.  I think that has been proven in how hard it is to post when I am doing poorly and vice versa.  But, the primary goal of this blog has always been about accountability.  I think some of the sad, and even disgusting, stories that I have shared about myself prove that point.  Not sure those embarassing stories help me stay accountable.  The daily weight seems to do that on it's own.  But, they are part of my story and help me to remember the things I don't want to do ever again.

The number above is proof that this blog is not about bragging.  That number is the time it took me to run/walk a mile yesterday during the annual YMCA Corporate Cup competition.  Like I said on Saturday, pedestrian number to be sure.  But, it is so much more than that to me.  Saturday I ran for the first time in a long time.  I felt good.  But, a couple of days later, my knees were sore and stiff.  I limped through a couple of nightly walks and found myself hurting more than I expected.  Originally, I wanted to try to run/walk the mile in a similar fashion... even pushing it to 50/50 instead of 45/55.  Originally, I wanted to do the mile in about 12 minutes.  I still hadn't seen my time from Saturday.  So, I wasn't sure if 12 minutes was reasonable or not.  But, with sore knees, a big lunch, and allergies acting up, I started thinking that a nice mile long walk was in order. I figured if I could even walk at a 4 mile per hour clip and finish in 15 minutes, I would be fine with it. 

But, that urge to push myself took over when I approached that starting line.  So, I started the race jogging.  I went until I couldn't go any longer.  Then I walked.  As soon as I stopped gasping for air again, I started jogging once more.  I figured I was running slightly more than I did in the 5K.  I would have guessed about 50% of the time.  I didn't think I would reach my 12 minute goal.  As I approached the finish I could see the clock and I saw that it said 11-something and it made me run even faster and push through that last little bit of pain.  I finished in 11:22.   I had not only reached my goal, but had beaten it pretty substantially.

Yeah, I know people are running 4 minute miles.  There were plenty of people in front of me.  But, I was in the first 1/3 of the overall group, beat 12 minutes, and felt pretty good!  And, I felt like I ran about 60% of the time.  Then I did the math.  I figure I walk at around 3.6 mph, despite always pretending it is closer to 4.  I jog at about a 6 mph clip.  Based on that, I calculated that I ran about 73% of the time!  That is awesome!

Okay, so maybe this is a different sort of bragging.  I am not telling you how fast I ran.  I am not telling you that I ran the whole thing.  I am not telling you that I looked good doing it.  But, I guess what I am bragging about are those other things that I am more proud of... perseverance, attitude, effort, and hard work.  I could have walked the course.  I could have skipped the whole thing as I debated doing.  I could have jogged until it was slightly uncomfortable and ran for 40%.  But, I pushed through it and that is what I want to shout out to the world.  I finished a mile in 11 minutes and 22 seconds and still found it worthy of calling Lori from the car and telling her that I had broken 12 minutes.  Crazy how such a minor thing can feel so good.

That run ended up making up for a bad lunch... a belated birthday lunch with friends and a sandwich I had craved because it had been so long.  Down 0.8 and back under 230.  I am not even going to say a word about this being the last time.

Here's to small accomplishments that feel much larger...

Starting weight (this time): 278.4
Current weight: 229.8
Change from previous: (0.8)
Total: (48.6)
Total Days: 226 

No comments:

Post a Comment