Monday, October 4, 2010

The Lying Ticker

Some of you may have noticed that the ticker that displays the total pounds I have lost is not always accurate.  There are days I am posting a gain in this blog and that ticker remains unchanged.  Well, let me explain...

On myfitnesspal.com, the same check-in function that updates that ticker sends an automatic update to Facebook when I lose the weight.  The only issue?  That same update is not sent when I gain weight.  I could lose 20 pounds in a month, gain 30 the next month, and then lose 10 again and my Facebook status would reflect the first 20 and the last 10... congratulating me on both.  But, never does it report those ugly 30 pounds gained in between.  Again, I like the very optimistic and positive approach of the site.  I get why it doesn't report on Facebook that I have gained weight... though I wish it would in my case. 

I recorded my weight gains for awhile.  But then, I found it annoying when I had gained some weight back that I would get subsequent congratulations from friends when I lost the SAME weight I had lost previously... does that sentence even make sense?  I found this more misleading than leaving my weight at my low point.

So now, I record my new lows.  This way I only get congratulated the first time I break barriers and reach new lows.  I still record my true weight here on this blog.  But, there are times like last week when I gained 8.6 pounds and the ticker still showed 100 pounds lost. 

That's why someone at the club congratulated me on losing 102 pounds today.  I didn't have the heart to fully disclose that I was really at 100.4 today.  I apologize for any confusion.  Here's to setting new lows and not talking about those days when you find yourself heading in the wrong direction... 

No comments:

Post a Comment