Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Am Not Sick!

Over the last week, two people have said that I look great and then followed that up by saying that they hoped it wasn't because I was sick and they hoped my weight loss was actually a planned thing.  Over the last few months, I had wondered if some of the people who ran in to me were wondering that same thing.  But, if they did, nobody spoke it out loud until recently. 

I laughed it off both times and assured these folks that I was indeed healthy and that all 100 plus pounds was by intent.  I get the question.  And, the question in and of itself doesn't bother me.  I understand that part of the reason is that, for most people, it is hard to grasp how someone can lose 104 pounds in nine months.  I know my previous struggles and it is sometimes hard for me to comprehend it myself.  Maybe it's even a little easier for people to accept their own struggles if they hang on to the belief that it can't possibly be done.  

But, it might simply be that having colon surgery three years ago because of diverticulitis tends to make folks wonder.  I lost a good amount of weight shortly before I was diagnosed with diverticulitis.  I will add that all of the pre-surgery weight I lost a few years ago was planned and was due to the things I was doing and not my health issues... though I will admit that 5-10 of those pounds were during my hospital stay and post-surgery diet.  I get these concerns and I get why it might make someone question that.

But, I do have one little problem with it.  I don't mind answering that question and letting people know that I haven't felt this good in almost 15 years and that I feel 35 again.  What I do mind is that I know there are a lot of folks I see that have the same question but never ask it.  That bothers me!  It bothers me that some people might assume that this is the only way fat Anthony could ever have lost the weight.  It bothers me that I can't set the record straight and tell them that I did this all on my own through hard work and life changes.  And, in case any of you haven't been paying attention, let me say this one more time.  I AM NOT SICK!  Hopefully, even though it has been asked, most of the people who see me don't actually think I look sick.  So, if you are reading this, do me a favor and pass it along. 

Should I care what all of these people think?  In the end, no.  I shouldn't spend time worrying about such trivial things.  And, it really doesn't bother me as much as it might sound.  I think I mostly want people to know that it doesn't take health issues to be successful.  I want them to share a positive message with those they talk to and not go around whispering that they think Anthony might be dying.  Here's to feeling great and losing weight without ever seeing the inside of a nasty hospital...

No comments:

Post a Comment