Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sunday Bloody Sunday

When we set out for Rocky Mountain National Park on Friday, our plan included the 10+ mile hike to Sky Pond on Saturday and then another 7+ mile hike on Sunday.  About halfway down the mountain on Saturday, it started to sink in that our plans may have been a touch optimistic.  By the time we got back to the car, we had already begun negotiations regarding a new plan with a much shorter hike.  We settled on about a 3.6 mile hike. 

Up until that point, I had done pretty good on my eating.  P.F. Chang's was awesome on Friday and I still hit my calorie goals.  And, while I ate plenty on Saturday morning in preparation of our hike, I know I burned plenty of calories during that hike to easily offset the bigger than normal breakfast.  With that in mind and the smaller hike on the Sunday agenda, I decided that I could get away with another favorite meal.  We spotted the Qdoba around the corner from the hotel and, as always, Qdoba did not disappoint.  My intent was to have the much healthier tacos.  But, desire won out over intent and I instead ordered the Three Cheese Nachos... my favorite.

Everything was going according to plan, well save for the nachos that replaced the taco and the 3.6 mile hike instead of the 7 mile one.  The only problem is that Lori and I struggled to wake up or get out of bed on Sunday.  A small part of me still wanted to hit the mountain.  But, it was such a miniscule part that it was very easily convinced to turn over and sleep a couple of more hours.  When we awoke, that hike no longer seemed like such a good idea.  We decided to go shopping as we made our way back to Pueblo.  On Saturday, we were climbing a mountain.  On Sunday, we were both falling forward as we stepped off the curb in the parking lot of Gordman's!

Needless to say, this change in plans made my Qdoba outing a much worse choice.  But, I wasn't that worried.  I planned to go to Chik-Fil-A for a chicken sandwich on the way home and figured the day and the night before would be a wash as long as we took a walk when we returned home.  There was only one problem.  Like countless Sundays before, we had once again forgotten the unfortunate Chik-Fil-A policy of closing on Sundays!  My favorite chicken sandwich was no longer in the cards.  One of my all-time favorites was crossing my mind as a replacement... though I was trying hard not to suggest it... but the words came out, "How about Brewery Bar".  The Brewery Bar!  I love the Brewery Bar!  While it doesn't sound even remotely like a Mexican restaurant, the Brewery Bar is probably my favorite Mexican place.  I used my Anniversary as justification and happily headed to chile relleno nirvana.  By the time I was done with my chile relleno and enchilada smothered in green chile, beans, chips and salsa... oh, and a ton of wonderful melted cheese... I was as full as I have been since my last Mexican meal at Mi Ranchito's.

I can't say I had no regrets.  I can say that I have so much confidence that these meals are simply minor setbacks and only delay the day that I break 200.  I no longer worry about one meal derailing my progress.  I think my only regret is feeling that full as I got back in the car. 

I knew that Saturday night and Sunday afternoon were going to be reflected at my Monday weigh-in and I was proven correct. I won't lie.  I have gotten way better about accepting these mornings.  But, it didn't start my week on a good note.  Luckily, that memory faded fast.  The memories of the hike, the meals, and the wonderful weekend will outlast any of the bad memories I have of a full stomach.  Here's to a short-term memory when it comes to the poor ones and an elephant's memory when it comes to the good ones...

No comments:

Post a Comment