Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Silence Is Deafening

I would guess that at least 95% of the people at the gym have some sort of MP3 player.  Obviously, music is a great workout aid.  It can keep your mind off of the monotony of a workout.  It can help you ignore the pain creeping in to your body.  And, it can even help motivate you to go a little bit harder or a little bit faster. 

I have a four-point checklist that I run through my head every day as I am heading out for the gym.  I make sure that I have my gym ID card, a towel, my water, and my iPod Touch.  I have been nervous on those nights when I realized that my iPod needed charging and that I was dangerously close to having it go off in the middle of a workout.  Lori has completely forgotten her iPod on a couple of occasions.  I have offered mine up each time and she has thankfully declined every time. 

As I was leaving tonight, I remembered that I wanted to add "Find Your Love" by Drake before I left.  I added a few other songs for good measure before took off.  I got to the club, started the treadmill, put my headphones on...  and then tragedy struck!  My iPod came up with a screen that said "No Content".  I was stunned and slightly horrified.  While I knew the answer, I checked to see if any of my podcasts or videos remained.  But, alas, my iPod had been wiped clear of any content. 

I wanted to cry.  If I didn't have only an hour until the club closed, I may have gone home and loaded it.  I kept walking on the treadmill while listening to the pounding of my own footsteps.  I tried to fill my thoughts with possible blog ideas or any other thought that might distract me.  I wasn't very successful.  Seconds passed... then, well, seconds passed again.  Every minute seemed like five.  Finally, at about the 40 minute mark, my son walked up on his way out of the club and I asked him for his to get me through the end of my workout.  What a lifesaver!

Tonight was so much more difficult than most nights.  All I could hear is the pounding of my footsteps.  It reminds me of the center lines blurring past when you are tired and driving on the highway.  There is no other noise.  Only silence.  As a matter of fact, I don't know how people exercised in the "old days". 

I will make sure that I check my iPod every time that I connect to the computer.  I will make sure that my mental checklist includes a check of the playlist and the battery life.  Here's to never having your MP3 player run out of battery life or display "No Content" right before or during a workout...

2 comments:

  1. Where was your iPhone which surely has some tuneage on it or Pandora or Slacker or AOL Radio?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That is the one place that no phones go. And, yes, I tried to get a WiFi signal with my iPod Touch so I could listen to Pandora. But, I couldn't get a signal. : (

    ReplyDelete