Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The End of the Streak

Something else happened on Saturday... though it seemed uneventful after our hike to Sky Pond.  After 116 straight days, my streak of being in the gym and on a treadmill finally came to an end.  The streak that drove me for more than 16 weeks was suddenly over.  That streak had lasted from March 24 until July 17! 

And, I miss it.  I liked that streak.  That streak got me to the club on nights when I didn't quite feel up to it.  While that incentive was not as necessary over the last couple of months as it was in the beginning, there was still always a part of me that wanted to get that number as high as possible.  I knew it would come to an end eventually.  I just knew that life and circumstances would present a day where the treadmill just wasn't possible.  But, I hoped that day would come after I reached 100 days and was glad I was able to reach that milestone.  I enjoyed saying, "I have been in the gym for __________ number of days and am eating better" every time I was asked what my secret was. 

Somewhere along the journey, I realize that my addiction to exercising had taken over and that I no longer needed the streak to get me in the gym or motivate me.  Even after I hit 100, I had no less desire to get on that treadmill even on those tired nights.  As soon as Lori and I started planning our weekend, I knew that I was facing the likely possibility of the end.  I figured it would be difficult to get up early on Sunday, hike, and then drive home and still be able to fit in a visit to the hotel gym or club.  I think Lori was worried that I would be a little nutty about getting to the gym in the hotel.  I wasn't.  I was okay with it.  Even told myself that it was probably healthier to let it end and face my obsessions head on. 

When we arrived on Friday, we made our way to the hotel gym for a 30 minute workout.  The streak continued.  Day 116 was in the books.

On Saturday, I realized about three miles in to the hike that there would be no treadmill in my future that day.  I laughed at myself for even letting thoughts of the treadmill interrupt our incredible hike.  The streak was coming to an end.

It is hard to feel really bad about ending an exercise streak after hiking 10 miles.  But, the streak wasn't simply that I had exercised every day.  It wasn't simply because I defined the streak as being in a gym or a club.  Silly me.  Had I defined it as getting at least 30 minutes of exercise, then my streak would now be at 134 and would still be alive and well.  That streak started the night that this blog started and is still going strong.

Despite our soreness and being tired from a long weekend, I still wanted to go for a walk on Sunday night when we got home.  We hit the Riverwalk and walked for about 70 minutes.  It was hard to even climb up and down the stairs.  But, it felt good to stretch those legs that were so tight.  And, it felt good to be exercising once again. 

I will continue to go to the gym every single night that I possibly can.  For now, I feel that I need it and, yes, I am slightly obsessed.  I hope that the day will come when I reach my ideal weight and I can back off the pedal ever so slightly and reduce my workouts to five or six times a week.  But, I also know myself well enough to realize that I may never feel that way again.  I am likely to exercise every single day except the days where it is simply impossible and those few moments where my body is telling me to give it a rest.  I plan to listen to my body then more than I do now.  Monday started a new streak.  Today was Day 3.  Only 114 more days to break my own record.  Here's to starting your own streaks and breaking your own records...

No comments:

Post a Comment