Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflecting on August

Yesterday morning, I was on the treadmill and I was reflecting back on the month that had just passed.  I found myself thinking that I was much more accepting of my disappointing August now than I was five days earlier.  Maybe, time heals all wounds.  Maybe, I am getting a little healthier mentally and a bit more patient.  Most likely, losing 6.4 pounds in five days can brighten one's disposition... and, yes, don't remind me of the weight I gained this morning.

But, there was one thing I gained in August.  Despite exceeding my calorie goals for almost half of the month, I still lost 10 pounds.  The significance is that it gives me confidence in my ability to maintain my weight once I reach my goals.  I keep telling myself that I will be more relaxed and less hard on myself once I get to a comfortable weight.  I promise that I will have the occasional exception and not be quite so strict about my diet.  But, I secretly wonder if I am lying to myself.  By exception, I mean those days where I break down and have a piece of pizza or two.  Those days where I have a couple of beers.  Those days when I am craving some soft-serve ice cream.  While I don't plan on having 3,000 calorie days, it is nice to know that I can have 1,700-2,200 calorie days and still be able to keep off the weight over a period of time with hard work in the gym and sticking to my goals on the remaining days. 

That gives me a renewed confidence in both my goals for September and the sustainability of this lifestyle once the push for 200 is finally over.  Here's to losing 10 pounds in August and being happy about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment