Friday, September 17, 2010

First Time Back On An Airplane... You Can Breathe Easier

It's been a long week and, between work and home, I have had little time to blog.  Not that I haven't thought of anything to say.  I just haven't been able to find the time in the evenings to write.  Tonight is no different.  I flew to Kansas last night for a quick business trip and just got back a couple of hours ago.  I am exhausted and I will be up again in about five hours to finally tackle Music Pass.  But, I couldn't go a whole day without at least checking in.  No weight today since I woke up in a hotel in Wichita.

For the first time since early in this journey, I found myself on an airplane again.  But this time, I didn't see that slight trepidation and anxiousness in the eyes of the other passengers as I slowly got closer to their open seats.  What I wanted in March finally came true in September.  I was no longer that fat guy sitting next to you on the airplane.  People smiled at me as if to say, "I wouldn't mind if that man sat next to me on this flight.  He's not too fat and he looks kind of friendly!". 

I didn't have to squeeze my shoulders and arms so that I was no longer impinging on other passengers' valuable real estate.  They paid good money for their tickets and deserve to at least have a full seat!  I no longer was filled with anxiety as I pulled the seatbelt across my lap hoping that it would buckle and praying that I wouldn't have to ask the stewardess for the dreaded extension.  No, that has never happened to me before, though I have been close.  I always managed to exhale just enough air to get that buckle to snap.  And, you know, for a brief moment I still felt that same anxiety until I remembered that it was no longer an issue.  In fact, I had to tighten the belt.  I no longer felt the tray right up against my gut when I put it down.  I no longer had to worry about the stewardess bumping in to my arm and shoulder as they passed in the aisle.  I sat in my seat comfortably for the first time in many many years. 

The other good news is that, despite not having to pay for it, I actually wasn't hungry and ended up skipping dinner!  That's right.  You heard it here first!  I skipped a free meal... in an airport loaded with yummy temptations. 

When I got home, I found just enough energy to go on a 3 mile walk.  A walk I needed since I hadn't exercised today... though walking through the United concourse at DIA should definitely count. 

See you tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment