Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Move To Free Weights

Throughout this journey, I have had maintained somewhat of a "plan" for my workouts.  I have added weight machines, swimming, etc. as I have lost pounds and as my body has felt ready to increase my activity level.  That plan included starting to lift free weights again once I got below 220 pounds.  While I have been under 220 pounds for about two weeks,  circumstances have kept me from making the move.

Yesterday, I finally moved from the weight machines that are upstairs at the gym and made my way downstairs to the big boy room.  With the help of my personal trainer, my son Niko, I began my new routine.  I like the machines I have been using.  But, there is something primal about lifting free weights.  I had finally gotten past that feeling that people were making fun of the tiny weight I was lifting as I had begun to increase the weight gradually and even found myself lifting more than most of the people in the room.  But now, I get to face those feelings of insecurity head on once again.  The good news is that I am less intimidated than I was six months ago.  I am okay if all of these muscle-bound guys and girls are snickering at me. 

I could feel that old familiar soreness creeping in to my chest and triceps today.  I love that feeling.  And, while I worked out a little harder, I still didn't overdo it.  Just enough soreness to confirm the hard work.  But, not the kind of overwhelming soreness that keeps you out of the gym.

When I get under 200, I plan to start P90X.  I really don't know if I will be able to handle it.  But, I can't wait to try and I will do as much of it as possible.  I hope I get the opportunity to start sometime in November.  I would love to finish the 90 day program sometime at the end of January 2011 and compare my results shortly after reaching the one year mark!  Here's to mixing things up...

No comments:

Post a Comment