Saturday, March 8, 2014

265.6... Not A Proud Moment

For the first time since starting the blog, I gained weight on a morning that wasn't an early morning when I was heading to Chicago.  It's also the first time I have gained a pound or more.  I can pretend that I am okay with it and try to stay positive.  But, I would be lying.  I am not only disappointed in my choices last night.  But, I am disappointed that I just jumped back to the weight I was on February 24 and I have basically wasted the last 12 days.

Last night, I had a really light dinner planned and was on my way to another solid day.  Then my phone rang.  I looked and saw, as expected, that it was my Mom.  My Mom was supposed to be on her way back to Salida.  But, a snowstorm kept her in town.  And, I knew she would be calling me about joining her and my sister for dinner.  That phone rang as I was leaving the house headed for the gym.  I looked at it and debated whether to answer.  If I ignored it and went to the gym, they would likely be done eating when I got done.  I also knew that my Mom just wanted to chat with her son that she hadn't seen in three weeks... not so ironically over dinner at Mi Ranchito.  I answered.

As expected, my Mom wanted to go to dinner somewhere.  I said yes and tried to get myself mentally ready to be good at dinner.  On a positive note, I did still tell her that I needed to go to the gym first.  When I was done working out, I joined her, my sister Rita, and my son at Sushi Garden.  I again thought to myself that I needed to be good.  And, since I was eating sushi once or twice a week for lunch in Chicago, I wasn't craving it as much as I usually do anyway.  

It didn't work.  I still didn't eat as much as I normally do.  I ate a fourth of the appetizers I normally would and probably half of the sushi I would normally eat.  But, I still ate too much and had way too much salt.  

I won't blame my Mom as much as I would like to.  I am a big boy.  And, while I would like to tell myself that I should have just ignored the phone call, that would have been the easy way out.  What I should have done was gone to dinner and eaten half the sushi I ate and no appetizers.  Or, I could have gone and not eaten and simply had some green tea and maybe a fried green bean or two.  Or, I could have not answered the phone.  One day I will learn.

I still hoped that I might be surprised with no gain this morning.  That didn't happen.  Up 2 full pounds from yesterday.  That leaves me 10.6 pounds behind my goal.  And, it leaves me severely disappointed in myself.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Being disappointed in myself has been proven to be a great motivator for me in the past. 

Here's to not answering the phone next time and catching up with my Mom after dinner...

Starting weight (this time): 278.4
Current weight: 265.6
Change from previous: +2.0
Total: (12.8)
Total Days: 33
Ahead/(Behind) Pace: (10.6)

2 comments:

  1. Something I tell myself and sometimes it works is "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". Love your blog! It motivates me. I am struggling myself and probably always will at some point. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. That thought has to be in the front of your mind every time you are making one of those hard choices. Thanks for following the blog! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete