Monday, May 23, 2011

Where's The Elevator?

Miss me yet?  My dad not having internet connectivity at his place is killing me and putting a dent in my blogging.

Last week, while visiting my dad in the hospital, I walked around the corner to see a group of people that was way too large to fit in to the elevator... and by large I mean the number of people and not the size of the people... I have not become quite that pompous about my weight loss!  Since I had already made a point of climbing the stairs when using the parking garage, I decided that I would do the same inside of the hospital.  So, I turned to a nurse who worked there and asked her where the stairs were.  She looked at me blankly, completely confused.  Eventually, she seemed to guess and point me around the corner.  The stairs were not there.  She clearly hadn't ever used the stairs before.

So, as I was walking down the hall, I turned to another nurse and asked again.  She looked at me like I was an idiot and responded, "Why, do you not like to use the elevator?".  I laughed and said elevators were fine but I wanted to use the stairs.  Luckily, she did know where they were... though she seemed perplexed at why I would want to use them over the elevator.

Now, I realize that people tend to opt for the elevator over the stairs in most circumstances.  But, I kind of thought that in a hospital, the staff might fully understand the benefits of taking the stairs.  While they may not use them either, I didn't expect that my request would be met with such skepticism, confusion, and slight irritation. 

When I was talking to my dad about the parking garage being full, he told me that he liked to go up higher where it was empty and then park close to the elevator.  He bragged that he did the same when he went to the airport.  My rather snide comment was that I was proud of him but maybe that's why he was in the hospital with a heart attack.  Now, don't be upset, my dad and I can joke that way.  But, I was slightly serious.  Here's to taking the stairs more often...

I need to find a scale...

No comments:

Post a Comment